Friday, April 17, 2015

Dental cleaning day!

As part of my job application, I had to visit the dentist and ask him to fill in a form stating the condition of my teeth. There was a question about recommended treatment and below it, a question about whether the treatment had been carried out or not.

Growing up, I didn't like my teeth at all. Whenever I smiled or laughed, you could see my bright pink gums and I didn't like that. I also used to think about getting braces to make them less gappy but I never did. Needless to say, my teeth have now actually grown on me. I like my them alot now because I think they suit the rest of my features pretty well. It's quite common for African ladies to have spaced out teeth, often with a gap in the middle of the two front teeth. So now I consider my teeth as something to be proud of.

So, about the dentist visit.. The dentist said my teeth were perfectly fine. He however decided to write on the form that he recommended my teeth to be professionally cleaned to remove some (very little, trust me) plaque. Because he wrote it on the form, I had to do it.

I had creeped myself out watching youtube videos about the process so as soon as I arrived, I let the dentist know I knew he was trying to rip my teeth apart. He laughed it off but I was still a bit nervous.

It was quite costly and he was done in about 5 minutes. He used a thin metal pipe instrument through which pressurized cold water came out. He also used this instrument to scrape the surface of my teeth and in between the tooth and gum as well. There was some bleeding and discomfort but it certainly wasn't painful. Thanks alot for the scare Youtube :)

No comments:

Post a Comment